Weekly Bible Study
Tuesday 4th August 2020
Topic: REASONS WHY SOME DO NOT READ THE WORD OF GOD
Text: Joshua 1:6-8
When it comes to divine expectations concerning the Bible, Christians are encouraged to do two major things, reading/meditating and preaching the same. Unfortunately, many believers do not create time to read/meditate on the word of God talk less of preaching it. Today, let us look at some reasons why some Christians do not read the word of God.
1. Ignorance of its truth. Some do not read the Bible because they are ignorant of the information available in the Bible. (Jer. 15:16)
2. Eating/Feeding on Ashes. (Isa.44:20) Today, many Christians are feeding on ashes (politics, comics, e.t.c) and they are full. This makes them not to have time for the word of God.
3. Sickness. The saying is true, a sin-sick soul has no appetite for the word of God.
4. Lunching between meals. Believers living in the lesser and frivolous non-essentials of life will not love to read the word of God.
5. The Book lacks flavour for some. Some prefer to read books on business, sports, education rather than reading the Bible.
6. The Book is too sweet. (Rev.10:8-10) It is interesting to note that some do not read the Bible because they consider it too sweet and therefore better for the sick, aged and the dying and not for practical and healthy people.
7. The Book is too bitter. (Rev. 10:8-10) On the other hand, some claim the book is too bitter for their belly. The truths of the Bible namely judgement, hell and sin are too bitter and some are afraid to read about such in the Bible.
Unlike such, let us say with Jeremiah, “Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart.”(Jeremiah 15:16)
HOW TO READ THE BIBLE
1. Read it lovingly: The Bible is the word of thy Saviour. (Psa. 119:11)
2. Read it reverently: The Bible is the Word of God, the Almighty, Saviour and Judge.
3. Read it prayerfully: The Bible is God’s message to your heart and life.
4. Read it meditatively: Be like Isaac of old and meditate on the Word of God
5. Read it systematically: Read right through the Bible, not just selected portions.
6. Read it resolutely: Resolve to obey that which the Lord teaches from His Book.
7. Read it daily: Not just on Sundays but every day of your life ensure you read a portion.
Make the Bible your constant guide and companion in life. The Bible is the Word of God; it is worthy of being believed. Breathe a prayer for the Holy Spirit to help you understand the sacred pages. Remember the Word of God, if neglected, will be our Judge at the last day. (John 12:48)
Our daily prayer should be Lord, teach me to treasure your word highly; to defend it when necessary and make me bold to proclaim the whole counsel of God thereof.