HISTORY OF SHEPHERDHILL BAPTIST CHURCH
Rev. Dr. Joseph Adejumobi Adegbite joined the teaching staff of the Baptist Academy in 1941 following his graduation from Higher College, Yaba. He was trained as a Physics and Mathematics Teacher with London Matriculation in 1940. In became the Principal in 1954.
In 1953, a 46 Acre piece of land at Mile 7, Ikorodu Road, Obanikoro was purchased by the Baptist Missions in order to relocate the School from an already congested space at Broad Street. The first sod was turned by Rev. Adegbite in 1954 and construction continued steadily till 1963 when the Chapel was officially opened by Rt. Hon. Dr. Nnamdi Azikwe, a personal friend of Dr. J.A Adegbite.
Dr. Adegbite in his capacity as the Principal of the Baptist Academy automatically became the Chaplin of the School and was responsible for the Spiritual welfare of the over 150 boarders. The students were taken to First Baptist Church Shomolu every Sunday morning for service while evening service was conducted in the Chapel.
As the membership of First Baptist Church, Agunbiade, Shomolu began to grow, it became impossible to accommodate the Baptist Academy Students. This brought about the idea of having Sunday morning Service in the Chapel.
A week-long crusade was held from the 4th to the 11th of July 1969 on the Football field of the School. On the last day of the crusade, the Holy Spirit directed the leadership to announce to the congregation and particularly those who accepted Christ that on the following Sunday July 13 1969, the Chapel would begin regular Sunday Morning and evening services to the general public.
On Sunday 13th July, 1969, Shepherdhill started with 53 members mostly made up of the 1964 – 1969 set of Baptist Academy. The Church continued to grow and had its first baptismal service on Sunday 22nd March 1970. The Church was formally organized into a full-fledged Church with 87 members in attendance on the 7th of June 1970.
Bearing in mind that the Church was one of the few English-Speaking Churches on the Lagos Mainland at the time, it attracted a lot of Young elites and fresh graduates. A lot of students in the higher Institutions around joined the Church at that time
The name SHEPHERDHILL was given to the church by Rev. Dr. Adegbite based on the topography of the Church location. He also designed the Church logo; Our Lord Jesus Christ tenderly caring for His sheep with the Inscription – I AM THE GOOD SHEPHERD (John 10.11) The Church motto is BE THOU AN EXAMPLE (1 Timothy 4: 12)
In 1983, the Church’s first Board of Trustees was put into place. It was made up of the following people;
• Rev. Dr. J.A. Adegbite
• Dn. J.O. Peters
• Dn. Biodun Longe
• Dn. S.O Makinde
• Mr. T.A Oke
• Mrs. Edna Rose Asije
• Mr. C.O Adeniyi
The first Constitution of the Church was drafted and subsequently approved by the Church in Conference in 1983 as well.
The Church continued to grow in number and structure to the glory of God. Due to this increase in numbers, it was decided in the early 1990’s that the Church needed a bigger structure. Therefore in 1993, the sod for the New Church auditorium was turned and work started in earnest. The Auditorium was commissioned on the 16th of December 2007 with finishing work still going on now.