Today is the last Sunday of the month of December, the last Sunday of the year 2017, the last day of the year and our Power Sunday. May the Lord’s power work with us. As the Lord liveth, the coming year shall be a better year for all of us. Amen. Today before we set out to pray, I want to speak briefly on the topic “BEHAVING WISELY.” This topic is lifted from our passage for today. In 1 Samuel 18:14,15 and 30. When the women of Israel sang the praise of David for killing Goliath, this made King Saul to be angry and envious . (7-9) Saul also became hateful and murderous, but God was with David. (10-12) Saul then schemed David’s promotion in attempt to destroy him (13), but David behaved wisely and the Lord was with Him. I see the Lord confounding every accuser of your life in Jesus name. Amen.( A ) DAVID’S WISE CONDUCT- 14,15, 30. This phrase actually can be found four times in 1 Samuel Chapter 18. In verse 5, it was recorded of David that he behaved wisely. In verse 14, he behaved wisely in all his way. In verse 15, he behaved very wisely and in verse 30, David behaved more wisely. May you not lack wisdom to relate with God and men in 2018. Amen. David’s wise behaviour could be viewed in three ways.
I. He was not carried away by the praise of men. When David suddenly found himself the popular idol; set above the king; his head was not turned. Unfortutely, this is the bane of many men today. Little success, promotion or popularity, their heads become turned. People they dare not disrespect become people they disrespect. David remained cool headed inspite of his popularity.
2.The wisdom of David was shown by his conduct in all assignments he was given. (5)Even under sudden and great reverses, he behaved wisely. Commitment, dedication, obedience, loyalty, faithfulness were marks of his wisdom.
3. The wisdom of David was shown in how he made the difference and improved on himself each day of his life. His goal was to fear God, love Him and do His will. Little wonder, he remained a man after God’s own heart. It was like every event made him better.
( B ) BENEFITS OF BEHAVING WISELY- According to our passage, David’s wise conduct brought him some benefits. No doubt, behaving wisely will bring the following among others.
1. ELEVATION-HE WAS ELEVATED- 5. Elevation is the reward of behaving wisely. (Pro. 22:29)
2. DIVINE PRESENCE-14- GOD WAS WITH HIM. This was evident to all. When a man’s ways please the lord, He make his enemies to be at peace or subject them to him. ( Pro. 16:7)
3. BECOMING A TERROR TO YOUR ENEMIES-15- SAUL WAS NATURALLY AFRAID OF DAVID.
Saul had the spear, but David had the LORD. Saul knew he was outmatched. All the spears in the world couldn’t defeat David, because the LORD was with him. Somehow, Saul knew all this and it made Saul afraid of David.
Saul had the throne and the army, yet Saul was afraid of David because the LORD was with him. No matter what influence or power your enemies have, behaving wisely will silence them all. Amen.
4. MOVING FORWARD- 29-30. When you behave wisely, you become unstoppable. The enemies may not like you, but they will still realize they cannot do without you. You presence makes the difference anytime, anyday, anywhere. Even though Saul envied, hated him and set him up for harm, David escaped them all. (11) You also will escape them all. Amen.
David behaved wisely in all his ways, and the LORD was with him. David behaved wisely when spears were thrown at him,put out of the palace by powerful and determined enemy. But even in the midst of all those terrible circumstances, he behaved wisely in all his ways as the LORD was with him. As this year comes to an end, will you consider yourself as someone who has behaved wisely in your conduct, obedience to God, giving to God, service to Him, commitment to His work, making best use of opportunities God gave you to make the difference? Can you say you have made improvements in your life both spiritually and physically? The opposite of behaving wisely is behaving foolishly. How wise have you been in taking advantage of various opportunities the Lord gave you? Robbing God, prayerlessness, not obeying God promptly, neglecting the important for the less important, playing the ostrich and many more are the signs of behaving foolishly. If you have not behaved wisely in 2017, it is time to behave wisely in the new year. If you have behaved wisely, it is time to behave more wisely and very wisely in 2018. You shall be lifted. Amen. Shalom.
1. My Father, my Father, I give you thanks for giving me the grace to see this day of power, the last day of the year 2017.
2. My Father, my Father, forgive me for the ways I have not behaved wisely with you in 2017.
3. My Father, my Father, empower me to behave wisely in all my ways in the new year.
4. My Father, my Father, it does not matter who is eyeing me, I shall continue to move forward.
5. It does not matter who is angry at me, my aim is higher ground.
6. My Father, my Father, every trap set by evil men for me in 2018, I shall escape them all.
7. O Lord. Let your presence be mighty in my life and let it send terror to the camp of the enemy.
8. My Father, my Father, as I behave wisely in 2018, goodness that many are running after will run after me.
9. In 2018, my elevation/promotion is sure. I am unstoppable.
10. My Father, my Father, let my name be written in the book of honour in 2018.
Rev. Israel Kristilere.(PhD)